Saturday, January 31, 2015

Egg and Spinach Tostadas


We've been using soft corn taco tortillas from the refrigerator section for everything we can lately, including these tostadas.
  1. Chop spinach into small pieces, probably by stacking a bunch of small spinach leaves into a tall pile, and cutting them into tiny strips (chiffonade), then making several perpendicular cuts across the pile.
  2. Load the spinach into a small, microwave-safe bowl, and heat for ~30 seconds to wilt the spinach.
  3. Mix in a pinch of salt, and maybe also some finely grated cheddar cheese (I used a zester, which was a little sticky, but produced a nice result). 
  4. Start heating a tortilla on a nonstick skillet on medium heat.
  5. Flip the tortilla over, and pile the spinach on it, trying to make a little nest to contain the egg.
  6. Crack the egg into the spinach nest.
  7. Cover, and continue cooking. Check periodically to see whether the egg looks set. I aimed for a runny yolk, but YMMV. 
If I did this over again, I might mix some hot sauce into the spinach.


No comments: